[arch-general] no mp4 playback with VLC

Nelson Marambio nelsonmarambio at gmx.de
Mon Aug 19 14:54:17 EDT 2013

Am 19.08.2013 15:41, schrieb Rodrigo Rivas:
> On Sun, Aug 18, 2013 at 4:26 PM, Nelson Marambio <nelsonmarambio at gmx.de>wrote:
>
>> Hi, folks,
>>
>> I downloaded a video file from YouTube which makes my players hang.
>>
>> VLC neither plays audio or video but just remains as if no file was in
>> the playlist (in fact it is).
>>
>> When I start vlc (vlc -v) from console and try to play that video file
>> vlc writes to the console
>>
>> mp4 stream warning: unknown box type tft (incompletely loaded)
>>
>> When I feed Google with this message I receive just similar results
>> ('tft' seems to be individual to my problem) but not a solution.
>>
>> ******************
>>
>> When I try to play the file with GNOME Mplayer it works but without the
>> sound. I already checked in the preferences that I  don't use the
>> internal volume control of Mplayer.
>>
>> Does anyone have a hint for me ? I am unsure if a codec is missing
>> because VLC would tell me that ?!?
>>
>> As Mplayer can decode the images I think the file is not corrupted. But
>> what about the sound ?
>>
>> ********************
>>
>> The video file is located here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=30ifeJZSQ64
>> (480p, file size is approx. 415 MByte)
>>
>> I downloaded it with this Firefox extension:
>> http://www.downloadhelper.net/
>>
>> output vlc: http://pastebin.com/mhYDeGK4
>> output GNOME Mplayer: http://pastebin.com/yp6U6w9d
>>
>> Thanks in advance,
>> Nelson.
>>

> I cannot find the 480p MP4 version. I get:
>
> $ youtube-dl -F http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=30ifeJZSQ64
> Available formats:
> 35      :       flv     [480x854]
> 44      :       webm    [480x854]
> 34      :       flv     [360x640]
> 18      :       mp4     [360x640]
> 43      :       webm    [360x640]
> 5       :       flv     [240x400]
> 17      :       mp4     [144x176]
>
> I tried downloading the format 18 and the 44 and they both play fine in my
> machine.
>
> About your gnome-mplayer log, the curious thing is that is doesn't detect
> any audio stream at all.
> I'm using mplayer2, and I get all the audio information without problem:
>
> $ mplayer --identify --frames=0 video.mp4
> ID_AUDIO_ID=0
> ID_AID_0_LANG=und
> [lavf] stream 1: audio (aac), -aid 0, -alang und
>
> And about your VLC log, I think that more relevant than the "unknown box
> type tft" are the lines:
>
> 5. [0xb6a062e8] mp4 stream warning: unknown box type sidx (incompletely
> loaded)
> 6.
> 7. [about 200 times the line above]
>
> My guess is that your file is simply corrupted. You can try downloading it
> again, but my advice is to use the excellent tool "youtube-dl".

OK, youtube-dl looks really more comfortable than the way I downloaded
videos from youtube up to now. Thanks a lot for the hint !

I will download the video a second time, if the playback works without a
problem on your machine and Kyle's, the fault has to be on my d/l.

Thanks again to both of you !
Nelson.