[arch-general] apache 2.4

Anatol Pomozov anatol.pomozov at gmail.com
Mon Dec 2 14:32:13 EST 2013

Hi,

This situation with apache-2.4 reminds me recent saga with libxml2
update. libxml2 was marked out-of-date for 9 months and maintainer
ignored requests about upgrading the package. The only explanation was
"if maintainer does not upgrade the package there must be a good
reason for it - new version probably breaks other apps". But it end up
that the new libxml2 package did not break anyone and upgrade was very
simple - it was just a version bump and no dependencies rebuild was
needed. I made a conclusion that maintainer just lost interest in
supporting libxml2.

Could it be the same situation with apache-2.2 package? If the
maintainer lost interest would it be better to drop Apache to
'community' repo where it has higher chance to be upgraded? IMHO it is
shame for Arch to keep old versions of software without clear
explanation, 2.4.1 was released almost 2 years ago!