[arch-general] apache 2.4

Leonid Isaev lisaev at umail.iu.edu
Mon Dec 2 15:06:20 EST 2013

On Mon, 2 Dec 2013 11:32:13 -0800
Anatol Pomozov <anatol.pomozov at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> This situation with apache-2.4 reminds me recent saga with libxml2
> update. libxml2 was marked out-of-date for 9 months and maintainer
> ignored requests about upgrading the package. The only explanation was
> "if maintainer does not upgrade the package there must be a good
> reason for it - new version probably breaks other apps". But it end up
> that the new libxml2 package did not break anyone and upgrade was very
> simple - it was just a version bump and no dependencies rebuild was
> needed. I made a conclusion that maintainer just lost interest in
> supporting libxml2.

What exactly are you complaining about? Apache 2.2 is still supported
upstream (2.2.26 was released on 11/16/2013 -- two weeks ago). Apache 2.4 is
just another branch. So why is apache-2.2 old?

> Could it be the same situation with apache-2.2 package? If the
> maintainer lost interest would it be better to drop Apache to
> 'community' repo where it has higher chance to be upgraded? IMHO it is
> shame for Arch to keep old versions of software without clear
> explanation, 2.4.1 was released almost 2 years ago!

Apache 2.2.15 was pushed in 07/2013. This situation hardly qualifies as "lost
interest". If you desperately need 2.4.7 and are absolutely sure that it is
compatible with 2.2 why not just compile it yourself?

Cheers,
--
Leonid Isaev
GnuPG key: 0x164B5A6D