[arch-general] dpms in text mode worked 1st boot, now monitor blanks but won't power off

David C. Rankin drankinatty at suddenlinkmail.com
Tue Dec 3 09:18:21 EST 2013

Guys,

  On my 1st boot after install of a new Arch box, the monitor would go to sleep
in text mode. (monitor power light goes to yellow indicating sleep and screen
goes black (off), not just blank) I thought that was a great trick, since
normally, the screen just blanks, but the monitor doesn't really go to sleep
(monitor power indicator on). Mouse movement (gpm) or key stroke would wake the
monitor up as expected. After configuring the box (nothing related to display)
on the next boot, the screen will blank, but not go to sleep (monitor power
light remains on and screen goes blank, but not black (off))

  I can't figure out what I could have done to alter anything related to the
display. (configuration was to mysql, httpd, named, dhcpd, samba, etc....)

  What controls whether display powers off in text mode and what can I check for
in journalctl to help figure this out?

--
David C. Rankin, J.D.,P.E.