[arch-general] Patching in PKGBUILDS

Mark Lee mark at markelee.com
Tue Dec 31 22:51:51 EST 2013

On Wed, 2014-01-01 at 04:33 +0100, Jan Alexander Steffens wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 1, 2014 at 4:14 AM, Mark Lee <mark at markelee.com> wrote:
> > Salutations,
> >
> > While debugging a libva-intel-driver issue, I found that makepkg was not
> > reporting failures to patch source files. Is there a reason behind this
> > behavior?
> >
> > Regards,
> > Mark
> >
> > P.S. Happy New Year!
> >
> > --
> > Mark Lee <mark at markelee.com>
>
> makepkg does not do any patching by itself. Patch commands are given
> by the user, typically in the prepare() function. Since set -e is
> used, makepkg will abort if `patch` returns non-zero. What does your
> PKGBUILD look like?

Salutations,

My patch command was given in the build() section of the PKGBUILD:

build() {
  cd "${srcdir}/${pkgname}-${pkgver}";
  patch -Np1 -i "${srcdir}/i965_rendering.patch"
  ./configure --prefix=/usr
  make
}

While debugging libva-intel-driver, I applied the rendering patch via
the PKGBUILD only to find later that it wasn't actually applied. Makepkg
didn't stop building the package even though it failed to apply the
patch.

Regards,
Mark
--