[arch-general] HDMI Alsa sound problem from flashplayer 64 bit

Mike Cloaked mike.cloaked at gmail.com
Wed Feb 6 13:48:53 EST 2013

I have a machine which has an HDMI monitor and which has sound coming
through the monitor via HDMI just fine when playing music from Amarok and
login system sounds play fine too.  I had selected the appropriate hdmi
channel in kmix for all the available audio playback devices.

Also I can get sound coming out of the monitor speakers with:

aplay -D plughw:0,7 /usr/share/sounds/alsa/Front_Center.wav

However if I run chrome and play a flash video the video I can see fine -
but there is no sound.

I have read all the available arch wiki articles about hdmi sound including
that at
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Advanced_Linux_Sound_Architecture#HDMI_Output_Does_Not_Workbut
as soon as I make a ~/.asound file with either of the suggested
contents KDE immediately tells me that the hdmi sound for that output has
been selected to be removed and offers me to make that permanent!

This is for an x86_64 arch system all up to date - and I have flashplayer
installed.

Can anyone guide me as to where to look for a solution that will get this
particular system playing sound from flash content on web pages in chrome?

I have several other (non-hdmi) systems which have no problem with sound
from web pages playing flash content.

Thanks

--
mike c