[arch-general] Troubleshooting random crash

Andre Goree andre at drenet.info
Wed Feb 6 10:57:59 EST 2013

Hello all,

I'm having an issue on my work machine where for the past week, each day
when I come in the computer freezes.  I'm using KDE 4.9.5 along with
3.7.5-1-ARCH.  I believe this started happening after a recent update
but I can't know for sure and I can't really reproduce it...it's
happening at seemingly random times, however the pattern I see
developing is after my PC has been running all day, I'll come in the
next morning open Thunderbird and the system just freezes.  I can't
ctrl+alt+F[1-12] or do anything.  Using another system, I'm able to
telnet to port 22 on the "frozen" box (I run ssh on this box) but cannot
get connected via ssh.

My question is, how do I go about troubleshooting this issue?  I know
there are so many factors involved that it can really be anything, but
I'd think if it were an X11/KDE/Thunderbird issue, I'd at least be able
to switch to a console and/or SSH to the box.  I also don't know if it's
in fact a kernel crash because I can telnet to ports on the box.

I AM running root BtrFS which I think may be the culprit.  I know I
know, not production ready, etc. but I'm not actually using this box as
a production server, just as my main work desktop so I figured I'd be
fine.  Also, again, I didn't start having issues until maybe 2 weeks ago
-- and I've had this box running since September '12.  Luckily I haven't
had any filesystem corruption AFAIK, but I'm thinking it's only a matter
of time.

Any tips on things I could set up to try to capture some sort of output
or perhaps a kernel dump (if it's the kernel crashing)?  I'm just at a
loss here, and I'm not accustom to needing to reboot my Linux PC so
ofter (though I have to troubleshoot a certain other OS daily, and
that's usually the resolution :p ).

--
Andre Goree
andre at drenet.info