[arch-general] Troubleshooting random crash

Gaetan Bisson bisson at archlinux.org
Wed Feb 6 16:29:47 EST 2013

There are obvious gaps in your report; fixing them would be a good first
step towards better understanding the problem. For instance:

[2013-02-06 10:57:59 -0500] Andre Goree:
> I believe this started happening after a recent update
> but I can't know for sure and I can't really reproduce it...

Give a window for when you started noticing the symptoms.

See in /var/log/pacman.log what packages were upgraded then.

Downgrade them and see if the issue persists.

> Using another system, I'm able to
> telnet to port 22 on the "frozen" box (I run ssh on this box) but cannot
> get connected via ssh.

What does "able to telnet to port 22" means? Do you get the SSH banner?

If yes, when is the SSH connection hanged/interrupted (ssh -vvv)?

What do the SSHD logs show on the server side?

> I'm not actually using this box as
> a production server, just as my main work desktop

So you produce nothing at work?

> Any tips on things I could set up to try to capture some sort of output
> or perhaps a kernel dump (if it's the kernel crashing)?

How about looking at the system logs to see what your system was up to
just before a crash?

--
Gaetan