[arch-general] HDMI Alsa sound problem from flashplayer 64 bit

Mike Cloaked mike.cloaked at gmail.com
Thu Feb 7 17:12:42 EST 2013

On Thu, Feb 7, 2013 at 2:47 PM, Cédric Girard <girard.cedric at gmail.com>wrote:

> On Thu, Feb 7, 2013 at 12:25 PM, phanisvara das wrote:
>
> > since he's using KDE anyway, why not use pulseaudio instead? it's
> > the default for the big DEs, and in my experience it doesn't screw
> > up one's system anymore, as it used to in the beginning.
> >
> > mostly, at least for me, it simply works. specially if you install
> > pavucontrol, an interface for all  hard- and software audio
> > channelsl on your machine.
> >

> Yes probably.
> But as he is not using pulseaudio and I have no experience with it, I was
> only speaking of what I know and what works for me.
>
> I am not sure if adding an extra layer which happens to bring new useful
> features is always the best solution to a problem.
>
> Anyway Mike has now two solutions to try, either with or without PA. What
> works for him and fits him at the end of the day is only what should
> matter.
>
> Regards,
>
> I was unsure what was meant by trying to set up without KDE in the way?  I
presumed that I could only run the chrome browser within a D.E. in order to
test the problem of flashplayer running a video with sound output? It was
not clear to me how to do that unless I had a different D.E. running (i.e.
not KDE) or window manager within which to test it? Presumably I can't test
from a text console, or can I? - apart from the command which works from a
Konsole terminal within KDE as I originally posted:

aplay -D plughw:0,7 /usr/share/sounds/alsa/Front_Center.wav

So presumably I need to set this into either ~/.sound or /etc/alsa.conf and
try to test from a text console as:

aplay -D /usr/share/sounds/alsa/Front_Center.wav

and if that works then the default channel will have been set as the HDMI
channel and then switch back to trying from KDE ?

Certainly if I can't get that to work as a solution and re-enable KDE then
of course I can follow the wiki advice on setting up pulseaudio and testing
that route for a possible solution. I will report back on how I get a
working solution if that will help others with this kind of problem. As I
said in my original post I can get sound output for everything else except
flash output from the browser.

Anyway thank you for the suggestions which I will follow up.

--
mike c