[arch-general] HDMI Alsa sound problem from flashplayer 64 bit

Mike Cloaked mike.cloaked at gmail.com
Fri Feb 8 04:46:22 EST 2013

On Thu, Feb 7, 2013 at 11:35 PM, LANGLOIS Olivier PIS -EXT <
olivier.pis.langlois at transport.alstom.com> wrote:

> Mike,
>
> I cannot think what would stop you from running a browser without any DE
> or WM. Just edit your ~/.xinitrc.
>
> Just add firefox to it.
>
> then
>
> startx
>
> It will run fullscreen with no title bar and the usual window frame.
>
> man xinit
>
> if you want to know a little bit the role of .xinitrc file in relation
> with the X server execution scope.

Thank you for this tip about running a browser without a D.E. - despite a
decade running linux this issue concerning setting up sound is a hole in my
knowledge which I need to do some learning on.

Following the suggestions in your post plus the previous replies to my
question I will now go and work on this. In the past I have never had any
sound issues and the defaults have always just worked without adjustment
(in recent years at least). The machine I have the issue with is rather
new, and this is the first time I have needed to work with HDMI sound. Once
I get things working I will post what works with this system.  I guess that
as time passes more people will have monitors connected with HDMI and
Displayport and perhaps move away from having sound via the analogue sound
port which is what I have always done until now.

--
mike c