[arch-general] UEFI experience - recommendations needed.

Mike Cloaked mike.cloaked at gmail.com
Sat Jan 5 15:23:39 EST 2013

I am building a machine which has an EFI capable boot on the motherboard
together with an mSATA drive for the root and boot partitions and an SSD
for the /opt and swap partitions, and just a single arch x86_64 install
when it is built - no dual booting to other OSes.  I have been looking up
information about UEFI with GPT partitioning and have read about various
problems that people have had with such systems.

So at this stage I am unsure whether to stick with what I know (BIOS/MBR
and GRUB2 with full systemd) or whether to plunge into the unknown (for
me!) and try EFI/GPT! (with rEFInd)

Does anyone have experience with such a UEFI system on this list? Apart
from the info on the arch wiki and the install wiki info (which I have been
reading), are systems like this reliable once installed? Does the routine
pacman update process for kernels lead to issues requiring manual
intervention with EFI/GPT or it is as generally reliable as BIOS/MBR?

I would be interested to hear from anyone with this kind of experience
running arch - if it is useful the motherboard I am using is an Intel
DQ77KB (which I intend to update with the latest BIOS firmware) and with
the Intel i3-3220T CPU.

Thanks for any replies (and useful links)

--
mike c