[arch-general] How to suppress the list of variables that are output at shell login?

Rodrigo Rivas rodrigorivascosta at gmail.com
Mon Jan 7 06:48:45 EST 2013

On Mon, Jan 7, 2013 at 9:49 AM, Jayesh Badwaik
<jayesh.badwaik90 at gmail.com>wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On Mon, Jan 7, 2013 at 1:46 PM, Alexander Rødseth <rodseth at gmail.com>
> wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I'm using zsh and this doesn't happen here.
> > What does the .zshrc of the user you're su-ing into look like?
> > Have you seen this page? https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Zsh
> Yes, I have seen that page. My .zshrc is as attached. All the lines
> till the line
>
> # End of Lines added by compinstall
>
> were added by the script that runs on zsh for the first time. The rest
> of the lines have been added by me manually.
>

> Also, I now think the problem is not with zsh but is more general,
> since the same thing happens for my root account which has a bash
> login shell.

Take a look at the other files source by the shell, particularly
/etc/profile and /etc/profile.d/*. Chances are that something in there is
doing a single `set` or similar.

You may also add a `echo $profile` command in the /etc/profile file, just
after `for profile in /etc/profile.d/*.sh; do` to see the trace of sourced
files.

HTH
--
Rodrigo