[arch-general] Request help with wired network config after initial install and reboot

Mike Cloaked mike.cloaked at gmail.com
Fri Jan 18 04:49:20 EST 2013

On Fri, Jan 18, 2013 at 9:38 AM, William Giokas <1007380 at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Fri, Jan 18, 2013 at 09:31:14AM +0000, Mike Cloaked wrote:
> > I did a base install last night on a machine with only a wired
> connection -
> > using the arch iso from 2013-01-04 - the install seemed to go fine and I
> > had a network connection using dhcp during the install and once chrooted
> > into /mnt everything seemed fine.
> >
> > At that stage I set up a wired "static ip" connection (following the
> > beginners guide) using ifplugd - but the service does not start from
> within
> > the chroot during the install - but when I rebooted at the completion of
> > the install I have no network connection and I cannot see any network
> > device (was eth0 during the install) - is it possible this may be due to
> > the systemd-197 package that was installed with the interface naming
> > changed?
>
> Interfaces are, on new installs, not `wlan0` or `eth0`. They are now
> dictated by udev [1][2]. My wired and wireless devices are now enp0s25
> and wlp3s0.
>

> > It seems that the ifconfig command is not available once rebooted into
> the
> > install and I don't know how to proceed.
>
> Run `ip l`.
>
> [1]
> https://mailman.archlinux.org/pipermail/arch-dev-public/2013-January/024231.html
> [2]
> http://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/systemd/PredictableNetworkInterfaceNames
>

> Thanks William - I have just managed to get the network up using the
sequence:
ip link - which gave the new interface name.
Then using the new name:
ip link set enp0s25 up
ip addr add 10.0.0.10/24 dev enp0s25
ip route add default via 10.0.0.135

Then edited /etc/resolv.conf to get a working network.

However once I have completed the rest of the install and configuration I
want to have the network come alive with a static ip address at boot.

What is the current recommended best method?  Is it netcfg, ifplugd or
something else?  This will be a desktop that runs on its own in a
relative's home where there is only a single wired router.

Thanks for any advice.

--
mike c