[arch-general] Request help with wired network config after initial install and reboot

William Giokas 1007380 at gmail.com
Fri Jan 18 04:38:35 EST 2013

On Fri, Jan 18, 2013 at 09:31:14AM +0000, Mike Cloaked wrote:
> I did a base install last night on a machine with only a wired connection -
> using the arch iso from 2013-01-04 - the install seemed to go fine and I
> had a network connection using dhcp during the install and once chrooted
> into /mnt everything seemed fine.
>
> At that stage I set up a wired "static ip" connection (following the
> beginners guide) using ifplugd - but the service does not start from within
> the chroot during the install - but when I rebooted at the completion of
> the install I have no network connection and I cannot see any network
> device (was eth0 during the install) - is it possible this may be due to
> the systemd-197 package that was installed with the interface naming
> changed?

Interfaces are, on new installs, not `wlan0` or `eth0`. They are now
dictated by udev [1][2]. My wired and wireless devices are now enp0s25
and wlp3s0.

> It seems that the ifconfig command is not available once rebooted into the
> install and I don't know how to proceed.

Run `ip l`.

[1] https://mailman.archlinux.org/pipermail/arch-dev-public/2013-January/024231.html
[2] http://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/systemd/PredictableNetworkInterfaceNames

--