[arch-general] MBP 8, 2: Screen(s) found, but none have a usable configuration

D. Can Celasun dcelasun at gmail.com
Fri Jan 18 14:03:39 EST 2013

On Fri, Jan 18, 2013 at 8:50 PM, Martín Cigorraga <msx at archlinux.us> wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 17, 2013 at 2:03 PM, D. Can Celasun <dcelasun at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> Brainless software engineer here. I'm using Arch on an iMac 27" + 27"
>> Cinema Display at work and I couldn't be happier. Sure, it took an
>> extra 15 minutes to set it up (compared to a PC)
>>

> A bit OT here.
> D.: is there any remarkable difference worth noting between running Arch on
> PC and on a Mac?
> I'm thinking in something like heat or some part of the HW not being fully
> supported like the keyboard or anything else. There's no doubt Apple
> products stands out because the excellent hardware, one of the main reasons
> one would argue to install GNU/Linux on them, but as I never tried this and
> I'm a bit reluctant to mess with HW glitches I would love to hear from an
> archer running his system on Mac.

Well, the entire office has this exact same hardware setup. Some run
stock OS X, some run Windows and I run Arch :) All of our machines
seem equally hot (which iMac's tend to do) so I don't think there any
power management issues that stand out.

One disappointing thing was the Catalyst perfomance. Occasionally, it
caused some mouse cursor and compositor corruptions. Though I'm told
these happen in a lot of systems using Catalyst, so it's not iMac
specific. Switching to xf86-video-ati solved all that

What else? Wireless (ath9k) is perfect, so is bluetooth, suspend,
hibernate, webcam, microphone. No glitches, crashes, corruptions,
nothing. It just works!

If you decide on trying it, I'd be glad to help out with any issues.

Cheers.