[arch-general] Winter Cleanup of [community]

Alexander Rødseth rodseth at gmail.com
Sat Jan 19 11:54:51 EST 2013

Hi,

It's time again for the yearly cleanup of the [community] repository.
Somehow, time passed, and it's now too late for a "Christmas Cleanup"
like last year. Instead I'm announcing a Winter Cleanup, which I think
is a better name as well.

The wonderful developers of Arch Web have added a report of "Uneeded
Orphans" since last time, which should make this cleanup considerably
easier. (Thanks Dan McGee:
https://projects.archlinux.org/archweb.git/commit/?id=5379348c9337a4abe27e807fef7956e11eebed30)

Another positive development is that all the ibus-packages that nobody
seemed to want to adopt, are no longer orphans. Thanks goes out to
Felix Yan, one of our latest TUs, for that.

The list of unneeded orphans can be viewed at this page:
https://www.archlinux.org/devel/reports/unneeded-orphans/

If you know of other packages that deserves to be cleaned up somehow,
in [community], AUR or any of the other repositories, please reply to
this e-mail and let us know. (If there should be too many requests,
we'll start a wiki page this year as well).

If there aren't any protests, I'll wait a couple of days and then move
all the unneeded orphans in [community] to AUR. Developers and
maintainers of [core], [extra] and [multilib] should feel free to join
in on the cleanup, of course.

I'll round off this invitation with a somewhat pretentious and
slightly akward slogan :]

"Happy Winter Cleanup. Let our repositories shine!"

Sincerely,
  Alexander Rødseth
  xyproto / TU