[arch-general] Problem with NFS on shutdown

Martín Cigorraga msx at archlinux.us
Tue Jan 29 14:14:34 EST 2013

On Tue, Jan 29, 2013 at 2:01 PM, Paul Marwick <paul.marwick at gmail.com>wrote:

> I've had a suggestion that the problem may be due to NetworkManger - if
> the network goes down before the NFS shares are unmounted, the sort of hang
> that I'm seeing will happen.
>
> I am using NetworkManager, so it does seem to be a possibility. I'm not
> sure how to check at what point in the shutdown cycle the network is
> disabled. I have a couple of ways of testing it (one possibility may be to
> try a wired network, which should connect and disconnect independently of
> NetworkManager), so I'll post back if I can prove or disprove the theory.
>
> The other option is to replace NetworkManager with wicd (which, so far as
> I can remember does not disconnect the network when the desktop is shut
> down).
>
> I will do some testing and post back the results. It would be interesting
> if anyone knows how the shut down sequence works, especially when the
> network is disconnected.
>
> Paul.

Good finding Paul.
Later tonight I will try your suggestions and see what happens.
One more scenario I can think of -please correct me if I'm wrong- is to
look what happens if we don't use neither NetworkManger or wicd and just
configure the wired interface manually - or even with netcfg, what is more
or less the same.
Then so far we have these possibilities:
1. try to delay NetworkManager from going down before all the NFS shares
are unmounted.
2. if that can't be achieved or just doesn't work take a look what happens
when NM is replaced with wicd.
3. as an optional test, disable any network managers and go minimalists
using netcfg - or manually configured network interfaces.

Later!
-Martin