[arch-general] video display doesn't get refreshed in GIMP, it seems.

Karol Babioch karol at babioch.de
Mon Jan 21 02:20:59 EST 2013

Hi,

Am 21.01.2013 07:47, schrieb phani:
> i've got a strange problem: when zooming images in the GIMP (installed
> from [extra])

at least for me gimp from [extra] works just fine, although I'm running
it on a Nvidia based system using nouveau.

> i've installed (stable) GIMP in (stable) openSUSE i'm
> keeping in a VirtualBox, and the problem doesn't happen there.

Although this is not proofing and/or showing anything at all as in case
of VirtualBox the interaction of the various components involved is
completely different. Especially from GIMP's point of view it is the
driver provided by VirtualBox that is being used, not the underlying one
from the host.

I would be surprised if this has anything to do with Arch at all,
because there is basically no patching going on in the appropriate
PKGBUILD (see [1]).

> i didn't
> find anything useful via google or the GIMP dev/users lists and am quite
> puzzled. wondering if one of you guys has an idea where to look?

Unless this is something specific to Arch, I'm pretty much in doubt that
anyone can sort this out for you here. The graphics stack is quite
complex, so there are a lot of places were things could go wrong. You
are probably best off by resolving these kind of issues upstream (see
[2]), where people know what to look for.

Best regards,
Karol Babioch

[1]:
https://projects.archlinux.org/svntogit/packages.git/tree/trunk/PKGBUILD?h=packages/gimp