[arch-general] failed to set xfermode on multiple disks (Was: Busted Server)

Jameson imntreal at gmail.com
Mon Jan 21 18:11:00 EST 2013

On Mon, Jan 21, 2013 at 12:38 AM, Martín Cigorraga <msx at archlinux.us> wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 21, 2013 at 12:33 AM, Jameson <imntreal at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> I hope someone can help me.  I have a server with two SSDs that
>> contain a mirrored btrfs volume holding /, and multiple HDDs that are
>> in a btrfs RAID10 array.  I updated to linux 3.7.3 in testing, and it
>> failed to boot.  I booted from a USB drive, and reinstalled 3.6.?, and
>> I still get failed to set xfermode (err_mask=0x40).  I don't see
>> anything in dmesg that makes a difference.  The only thing that
>> changed was the kernels, back and forth.  Does anyone have an idea, or
>> am I going to have to re-install?  Thanks.
>>

> Hi Jameson, a blind shot here since I'm not familiar yet with SSD setups:
> did you tried running a fsck? In the past I had a similar situation with
> conventional hard disks and the problem was some corrupted data in /boot.
>
> Hope you have your beast up soon!

Yes.  I had actually forgotten that I had a separate ext4 boot
partition.  I've ran fsck on it as well as btrfsck on my mirrored
root, and my raid10 array.  All return fine.  During boot, between
some of the xfermode errors, I can see the message where it is looking
for btrfs file systems, and then a repair console which says that the
root filesystem can't be found which doesn't respond for some reason.
I'll try to find another keyboard to see if it will make a difference.
 I did another install of of the old 3.6 kernel, and noticed that it
threw an error about not being able to find the root filesystem at
that point also.  Any further diagnostic advice will be appreciated.

Thanks,
=-Jameson