[arch-general] failed to set xfermode on multiple disks (Was: Busted Server)

Jameson imntreal at gmail.com
Tue Jan 22 14:50:38 EST 2013

On Mon, Jan 21, 2013 at 6:11 PM, Jameson <imntreal at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 21, 2013 at 12:38 AM, Martín Cigorraga <msx at archlinux.us> wrote:
>> On Mon, Jan 21, 2013 at 12:33 AM, Jameson <imntreal at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> I hope someone can help me.  I have a server with two SSDs that
>>> contain a mirrored btrfs volume holding /, and multiple HDDs that are
>>> in a btrfs RAID10 array.  I updated to linux 3.7.3 in testing, and it
>>> failed to boot.  I booted from a USB drive, and reinstalled 3.6.?, and
>>> I still get failed to set xfermode (err_mask=0x40).  I don't see
>>> anything in dmesg that makes a difference.  The only thing that
>>> changed was the kernels, back and forth.  Does anyone have an idea, or
>>> am I going to have to re-install?  Thanks.
>>>

>> Hi Jameson, a blind shot here since I'm not familiar yet with SSD setups:
>> did you tried running a fsck? In the past I had a similar situation with
>> conventional hard disks and the problem was some corrupted data in /boot.
>>
>> Hope you have your beast up soon!
>
> Yes.  I had actually forgotten that I had a separate ext4 boot
> partition.  I've ran fsck on it as well as btrfsck on my mirrored
> root, and my raid10 array.  All return fine.  During boot, between
> some of the xfermode errors, I can see the message where it is looking
> for btrfs file systems, and then a repair console which says that the
> root filesystem can't be found which doesn't respond for some reason.
> I'll try to find another keyboard to see if it will make a difference.
>  I did another install of of the old 3.6 kernel, and noticed that it
> threw an error about not being able to find the root filesystem at
> that point also.  Any further diagnostic advice will be appreciated.

Also, it turns out changing USB keyboards makes no difference.  I
don't think I have a PS/2 keyboard, anymore.  I've currently copied
all of my data from my SSD array to a HDD, and plan on trying to get
it to boot.  I've successfully ran mkinitcpio and grub-mkconfig from a
chroot on the HDD which did not return the error about not finding the
root filesystem, so I'm hopeful it will at least get me back up and
running.  I forgot to grub-install, though, so I'll have to wait until
I get home to test it.

Thanks,
=-Jameson
Thanks,