[arch-general] Sound problems

Martín Cigorraga msx at archlinux.us
Thu Jan 31 19:23:02 EST 2013

On Thu, Jan 31, 2013 at 6:35 PM, Frank Zimmermann <
frank.zimmermann.berlin at freenet.de> wrote:

> Good evening,

Hey!

> I'm having troubles getting sound to work aftereach reboot. I've
> followed the instructions from the wiki. But after each reboot I need to
> run alsamixer -> selct the soundcard by pressing F6 -> and then have to
> increase the volume of the speaker. When invoking
> systemctl enable alsa-restore.service and
> systemctl enable alsa-store.service
> I do get the following error messsage:
>
> The unit files have no [Install] section. They are not meant to be
> enabled
> using systemctl.
> Possible reasons for having this kind of units are:
> 1) A unit may be statically enabled by being symlinked from another
> unit's
>    .wants/ or .requires/ directory.
> 2) A unit's purpose may be to act as a helper for some other unit which
> has
>    a requirement dependency on it.
> 3) A unit may be started when needed via activation (socket, path,
> timer,
>    D-Bus, udev, scripted systemctl call, ...).
> ... and it starts from the beginning after the next reboot.

That's correct, these systemd's units provided by the alsa-util package
aren't meant to be manually enabled or disabled; if I'm not mistaken,
they are statically linked to sysinit.target - anyone who knows better
how these ALSA units works is welcome to step in :)

All that do the alsa-store.service is invoke the alsactl command to save
your settings, try running it from console:
# /usr/sbin/alsactl store

> BTW it doesn't help when I change the settings in /etc/asound.conf from
> pulseaudio to the hw device.

So you've installed PulseAudio, may be the problem is related with PA then.
Check carefully the PA wiki and if you can't find where the problem resides
you will need to make some debug; the first step shall be uninstall PA and
check that ALSA's systemd units are working right, then you can try reins-
talling PA and looking carefully for any change you do to config files.

Thanks for any help
> Frank

Good luck :)