[arch-general] /etc/shells should keep /bin/zsh

Chris Down chris at chrisdown.name
Mon Jul 1 06:43:32 EDT 2013

https://projects.archlinux.org/svntogit/packages.git/commit/trunk?h=packages/zsh&id=c84d9770988fdc0f2e6c7bd5fa748d5a18580fb4

>> https://bugs.archlinux.org/task/35724
>
> If a bug is open that long, it is likely to be closed as "Won't Fix".

I think that one reason the bug has been open so long is because it
requires consensus to resolve rather than actual bug fixing. Specifically:
for binaries involved in situations where the symlink does not make the
transition transparent (in this case, because it's the path itself that
matters in input), should they (ideally) have:

a. both the old path and /usr/bin be acceptable
b. only the old path be acceptable
c. only the new path be acceptable

I'm pretty sure nobody would argue in favour of option b preferentially. I
am in favour of Arch continuing its long history of being first to
deprecate and going for c as long as it doesn't pose any major technical
problem.