[arch-general] Arch Linux on servers?

Robert Spahr rob at robertspahr.com
Fri Jul 19 20:31:57 EDT 2013

On Tue, 9 Jul 2013 11:13:08 +0100
M Saunders <okachi at gmail.com> wrote:

> But it'd be interesting to hear from
> people running Arch on production servers, how well it works for them
> and what (if any) problems they've faced.

Mike,

As an artist that makes computational and generative art, I use servers
to produce art work on a 24/7 schedule. [http://www.robertspahr.com]

I previously used gentoo, on a couple of servers, but over the last two
years, I transitioned my own personal computers and servers from
gentoo, to arch linux. I very much value the rolling releases of both
distributions.

The arch binaries save me so much time over the gentoo compiling. For
me the important thing is to be conservative on the upgrades. I have a
staging server that I always test upgrades first, before updating the
live server.

Besides that, the arch linux community is quite helpful.

Cheers,

-- Rob

--
Robert Spahr, MFA