[arch-general] Arch Linux on servers?

Alexander Diana alexander.a.diana at gmail.com
Sun Jul 21 02:02:41 EDT 2013

On 07/19/2013 08:31 PM, Robert Spahr wrote:
> On Tue, 9 Jul 2013 11:13:08 +0100
> M Saunders <okachi at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> But it'd be interesting to hear from
>> people running Arch on production servers, how well it works for them
>> and what (if any) problems they've faced.
>
> Mike,
>
> As an artist that makes computational and generative art, I use servers
> to produce art work on a 24/7 schedule. [http://www.robertspahr.com]
>
> I previously used gentoo, on a couple of servers, but over the last two
> years, I transitioned my own personal computers and servers from
> gentoo, to arch linux. I very much value the rolling releases of both
> distributions.
>
> The arch binaries save me so much time over the gentoo compiling. For
> me the important thing is to be conservative on the upgrades. I have a
> staging server that I always test upgrades first, before updating the
> live server.
>
> Besides that, the arch linux community is quite helpful.
>

> Cheers,
>
> -- Rob

I find that as long as the deployment doesn't have a need for SELinux,
or doesn't face an outside (public) network, its perfectly fine and
stable. Wrestling SELinux into arch is not something fun to do or keep
alive, and nor is complying with security patches.

TLDR: It has served me very well in production as long as you aren't
dealing in security.

--
Alexander Diana <alexander.a.diana at gmail.com>