[arch-general] UEFI madness

Maxime Gauduin alucryd at gmail.com
Sat Mar 2 09:25:20 EST 2013

On Fri, 2013-03-01 at 22:44 -0800, David Benfell wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> So far, my attempt to install Arch Linux on a UEFI system is a total
> facepalm moment. The problem is in booting post-install.
>
> So, first, does anyone have actual--and successful--experience
> installing Arch on a UEFI system? Yes, I went to the Arch Wiki, which
> initially pointed me at GummiBoot. There are actually two sets of
> instructions, one given where I looked first, for the UEFI entry, and
> another under the entry for GummiBoot. Neither succeeds, but I wound up
> following the latter set of instructions (and cleaning up extra entries
> with efibootmgr, which fortunately makes this relatively easy).
>
> GummiBoot says it can't find /vmlinuz-linux. I tried modifying the
> configuration to say /boot/vmlinuz-linux, but no joy. Apparently, I'm
> really supposed to copy this file and the initrd image to the EFI
> partition, but nobody says where in the EFI partition, so I have no idea.
>
> I also tried following the instructions for grub-efi. I'm just
> mystified. I managed to install the right package, but from there I just
> wasn't understanding a thing. I've been using linux since 1999 so this
> shouldn't be so completely mystifying.
>
> I tried installing rEFInd (from sourceforge). As near as I can tell, it
> does indeed detect all the possible boot options on the system. But when
> I try booting the Arch installation, it says it can't find the root
> partition. It also detects the GummiBoot option, but that leads the same
> place as before. Finally, it detects the Windows option, which I hope
> still works (unfortunately I do need this).
>
> I guess getting something that just works--like it did with BIOS
> systems--is not in the cards. What do I do now?
>
> Thanks!

I have been succesfully using a GRUB2 based UEFI system for the past
year, but it died on me a week ago. Didn't want to load any kernel
anymore...
I switched to refind and it works beautiffuly, just follow the wiki
here: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/UEFI_Bootloaders#Using_rEFInd
and set your ESP partition like Mike suggested.
The tricky part is to boot the iso into efi mode, it complains about it
having no loader config (at least for me). You can work around that if
you already have refind on the ESP partition, if you don't, install it
in EFI/Boot/ and name the efi file bootx64.efi (be sure that it scans
externals, or optical if you're using a CD). You can then load refind by
going into your EFI bios and choosing "Load EFI Shell" (note that not
all EFI bioses have that option).

--
Maxime