[arch-general] UEFI madness

Tom Gundersen teg at jklm.no
Sun Mar 3 16:51:04 EST 2013

On Sun, Mar 3, 2013 at 8:54 PM, Mika Fischer <mika.fischer at zoopnet.de> wrote:
> itself. Arch would still need to
> change where the kernels are installed to prevent clobbering the root
> of the ESP, for instance by installing somewhere in /usr and then
> calling this tool in post_install() to install the kernel to the
> proper location in /boot, which is system-specific.

Yup, this would be the idea.

> Is anything in this direction planned? Such a change might also be
> somewhat disruptive to users with BIOS and users with EFI who don't
> use gummiboot...

We hope to be able to follow this scheme. Ideally all boot-loaders
would use the same configuration files, which would make this "just
work". So far I'm aware of patches against grub2, hopefully more will
follow. Even without that, it shouldn't be too hard to transition
non-gummiboot systems to using this scheme, but we haven't discussed
it in detail.

-t