[arch-general] Forced to run fsck manually on unattended system

edd_smith edwardmbsmith at gmail.com
Thu Mar 7 06:06:14 EST 2013

I have found a way around my problem of freezing on startup.

The startup script is called from /etc/rc.d/functions

You simply find the section where the fsck command is called and edit the
flags to remove -a and add -y.

I understand that my data may end up getting a little frazzled, but
hopefully turning off disk caching with hdparm (this is a low performance
system anyway) should sort things out.

For what it's worth I'm using SSDs and I've found that a journalled file
system (ext3/4) struggled a bit more with sudden power outages, but this is
all emperical.

Many thanks for all your suggestions.