[arch-general] [arch-dev-public] BIND10? No, thanks.

Gaetan Bisson bisson at archlinux.org
Sat Mar 9 18:50:18 EST 2013

[2013-03-09 09:51:38 -0500] Genes Lists:
>        One observation - bind is the de facto standard and as far as I can
> tell used by the majority of the root servers [1] (and the majority of all
> major DNS servers according to wikipedia [2] and bind website [3] anyway
> :-)).
>
>        We may want to be cautious stepping away from the dominant DNS
> software unless there is a sea change for the DNS community to do same.

There is no sea change for the computer community to switch to Linux;
yet, here we are. People use BIND because they do not know any better.

>        Anyway, I'd encourage that we try and stick with bind.

... for no reason at all except its popularity, and disregarding the
arguments my original message gave for the switch? That's a really
disappointing attitude from you.

It is really beyond me why you would state your uninformed opinion
having not read anything about the benefits of ldns+unbound+nsd when
this information is available to anyone looking for it. Seriously, do
you never think about the hundred of readers this list has? Wouldn't you
think they'd much rather read an informed opinion than a vague concern
from somebody who has done little research on the topic?

Anyway, you are of course free to keep maintaining BIND in the AUR.

--
Gaetan