[arch-general] Zsh, tmux, and paths

Manolo Martínez manolo at austrohungaro.com
Wed Mar 13 15:31:22 EDT 2013

Hello,

I've noticed that, if one modifies the PATH environment variable in
.zshenv, tmux fails to notice this. That is, `echo $PATH` yields
different results within and without tmux, with the former being the
default path, and the latter the path as modified by .zshenv.

When I update PATH in .zshrc, though, it is picked up fine by tmux.

I don't know what to make of this, but I've noticed the following, which
might be related. If I undertand it correctly, zhs:

* First sources .zshenv
* Then sources /etc/zsh/zprofile
* Then .zshrc

In the second step, /etc/zsh/zprofile sources /etc/profile,
which changes the path back to the default. Might this be
the reason why tmux picks .zshrc path changes up correctly, but not
.zshenv path changes?

Cheers,
Manolo