[arch-general] Device "eth0" does not exist - how to bring up?

David C. Rankin drankinatty at suddenlinkmail.com
Fri Mar 15 13:24:39 EDT 2013

All,

  After update that installed systemd, chrooting the system successfully starts
the network and eth0 is present. However, when booting natively to the system no
eth0 is present. Attempting /etc/rc.d/network restart results in "Device eth0
does not exist." According to https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Systemd,
until I append init=/usr/lib/systemd/systemd to the kernel line and reboot, the
system should still process the initscripts normally. However this does not
occur. 'cat /proc/1/comm' still shows 'init' so I cannot figure out why I do not
have an eth0.

  Appending init=/usr/lib/systemd/systemd does bring up systemd and the system
boots until X starts and the system hangs. It still responds to ctrl+alt+del,
but will not switch to the graphical interface. It is just stuck. Is there a way
to bring eth0 up under the old initscripts until I get the X hang sorted out?

--
David C. Rankin, J.D.,P.E.