[arch-general] What changed dual-boot grub definition (hd0, 0) -> (hd0, 1)

David C. Rankin drankinatty at suddenlinkmail.com
Mon Mar 18 10:55:27 EDT 2013

All,

  Just a note. After working through the update that brought in systemd, a final
issue is that somehow the drive designation for grub (legacy) for the windows
partition was changed from (hd0,0) to (hd0,1). This box is a simple old dell box
with a single 500G drive. Windows has 80G and the rest in Arch. The dual boot
for windows definition in grub menu.lst has always been:

title Windows
rootnoverify (hd0,0)
makeactive
chainloader +1

  'cat /proc/partitions' showed sda and then sda2 as the first primary
partition. sda1 was no longer created by the system. Is there some reason that
sda1 would be completely missing on the system where it had always been there
before? This required the corresponding change of the menu.lst definition to:

title Windows
rootnoverify (hd0,1)
makeactive
chainloader +1

  While the fix is simple, what caused the loss of sda1 in the first place?
This box has booted Arch and then XP as (hd0,0) since 2009. Now it requires
(hd0,1). Is this related to the same udev issue that caused eth0 -> enp2s0? If
so, can I rely on it staying sda2 going forward or do I need another softlink in
/etc/udev/rules.d to make it so?

--
David C. Rankin, J.D.,P.E.