[arch-general] Future of dmraid on nvidia chipsets in Arch?

David C. Rankin drankinatty at suddenlinkmail.com
Tue Mar 19 09:40:20 EDT 2013

Dave, All,

  After reading https://bugs.archlinux.org/task/31236, I am left with the
question of "Can I move forward with Arch with my servers that have dmraid for /
and /home with nvidia chipsets?" Thanks for the dmraid update dr, but will that
package continue to be available? I have 3 dmraid production servers, all nvidia
chipset based (reference
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Installing_with_Fake_RAID). Bug 31236
addressed handling /home on dmraid, but excluded any discussion of / or /boot on
dmraid. It also noted that the move from dmraid->mdraid was only supported for
Intel chipset based controllers.

  Is there planned support for existing nvidia based dmraid arrays in Arch,
whether by conversion to mdraid (when chipset support is available) or will the
dmraid package (as patched by dreisner) continue to be available to support
booting nvidia based systems under systemd?

  From a server standpoint (no dual-boot dmraid availability required), is the
best long-term option to simply completely rebuild using mdraid (pure software
raid) eliminating dmraid altogether?

--
David C. Rankin, J.D.,P.E.