[arch-general] make/ execvp error : argument list is too long

arnaud gaboury arnaud.gaboury at gmail.com
Fri Mar 22 10:29:04 EDT 2013

Dear List,

I have an issue since 5-10 days when building android from source, as when
I have been building it for months with no problem.

At one point in the building process, make will stop with this error:
make: execvp: /bin/bash: Argument list too long

After some search, I found this error is thrown by execvp(), following the
errors specified in man execve(2).

The execvpe() function appears in glibc. My glibc is the one from core,
2.17-3, and has been reinstalled. Building AUR packages don't give any
error.

The android ROM I am building is very closed to the android open source,
and build fine on another machine (Linux Mint). So I suspect the problem
comes from my box.

The following line from android envsetup output puzzles me:
HOST_OS_EXTRA=Linux-3.8.4-1-ARCH-x86_64-with-glibc2.2.5

What is this glibc2.2.5 ??

Thank you for any help.

Regards.