[arch-general] Broadcom B43 problems

Curtis Shimamoto sugar.and.scruffy at gmail.com
Tue Mar 26 11:56:04 EDT 2013

On 03/26/13 at 01:37pm, Julien Pecqueur wrote:
> Which card did you bought?
>
> Cordialement,
>
> Julien Pecqueur

There was a mention above about buying a Realtek card.  I just want to
mention that my experience with Realtek wireless chipsets has been
nothing but hell.

My Thinkpad came with a Realtek that used the rtl8192ce module, and it
was terrible.  I recently was forced to try it again, and it had gotten
better, but was still of pretty questionable quality.

The first time I replaced it I was able to flash a modified bios that
removed the Lenovo wifi card whitelist, and replaced it with an Intel
Centrino Advanced-N 6235 which was amazing.

This time, I was unable to remove the whitelist (or rather flash the
newly modified bios, removal was the same as always) so I was able to
find the Intel Centrino Wireless-N 2230 that was apparently an option
with this laptop.

My experience with Intel wireless has been fantastic, and I highly
recommend them.  I have also been told that Atheros support is very good
as well.  Though it has been quite some time since my last use of an
Atheros chipset on Linux (my old MacBook 2,1 has an Atheros, but that
machine has since gone back to OS X as a "family computer").

--
Curtis Shimamoto
sugar.and.scruffy [at] gmail.com