[arch-general] Question about mariadb replacing mysql

Mike Cloaked mike.cloaked at gmail.com
Wed Mar 27 08:22:51 EDT 2013

On Wed, Mar 27, 2013 at 12:13 PM, Paul Gideon Dann <pdgiddie at gmail.com>wrote:

> On Wednesday 27 Mar 2013 11:21:45 Mike Cloaked wrote:
> > The question remains as to whether any action is necessary after moving
> > from mysql to mariadb for any user who is using Kontact and other KDE
> > components that rely on mariadb after the change?
> >
> > Presumably there will be some people who know whether it will continue to
> > work or not without taking any specific action once mariadb is installed?
>
> Maybe you missed my reply to the original post?  I have this setup, and
> there
> is no issue after upgrade.  Make sure you restart Akonadi (preferably stop
> it
> before upgrade), and you should be fine.

Thanks - my experience was that although I had ensured that the mysqld
service was stopped at the time of installing mariadb, it was also the case
that since there was no mention of KDE that I could see in the original
announcement I simply left akonadi running whilst installing mariadb.  I
have not personally had any obvious issues arising after the change, and
only realised after the event that akonadi uses it even though "systemctl
status mysqld" shows it is inactive. That was the reason for my original
post in case some surprise related to Pim in KDE may later appear for KDE
users despite the process of change being executed correctly according to
the announcement. On other machines I manage I ensured that the mysqld
service was stopped as well as executing aknodictl stop before installing
mariadb.

Since the feedback seems to indicate that there is no onward problem
relating to KDE and mariadb once installed, even if that install was done
with KDE and akonadi running at the time, I guess this thread can be
closed. I appreciate the replies.

Many thanks.

--
mike c