[arch-general] Kernel panic at boot after hard reset: not syncing. No init found.

Rodrigo Rivas rodrigorivascosta at gmail.com
Mon May 6 12:47:33 EDT 2013

On Mon, May 6, 2013 at 3:41 PM, Paul Hervot <p.hervot at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello, I know some people had this problem before but no solution seems
> to help me.
>
> I was playing Kerbal Space Program, the game filled up my RAM, my
> computer was no longer responding (it happens to me a few times a month
> if I forgot to close firefox before playing for example).  I had to hard
> shutdown, then on the boot I get this kernel panic.
> (Here is a screenshot: http://dettorer.net/kernel_panic.jpg)
>
> The init= parameter given by grub is correct: /usr/lib/systemd/systemd
> and I double checked the root= parameter, it is by uuid but I also tried
> by device name (/dev/sda7) and by label.
> I use three partitions:
> sda5: /boot
> (sda6: swap)
> sda7: /
> sda8: /home
> `fdisk -l /dev/sda` http://paste.awesom.eu/ux8
> `ls -l /dev/disk/by-uuid` http://paste.awesom.eu/85U
> Using the output of a new `grub-mkconfig` didn't fix it either.
> Here is my grub.cfg: http://paste.awesom.eu/aDR
>
> I tried running `mkinitcpio -v -p linux` (I use the 3.8 kernel from core
> but also tried the 3.9 from testing, same result)
> Here is my mkinitcpio.conf: http://paste.awesom.eu/yVH
> and the output of `mkinitcpio -v -p linux` http://paste.awesom.eu/6f3

Comparing your output to mine, what most intrigues me is that there are a
lot of lines that I have and you do not:

    adding symlink: /usr/lib/libc.so.6 -> libc-2.17.so
    adding file: /usr/lib/libc-2.17.so
    adding symlink: /lib/ld-linux-x86-64.so.2 -> ld-2.17.so
    adding file: /usr/lib/ld-2.17.so

Curiously enough, most (or all) of them are from package "glibc", so I'd
try first to reinstall this package.

Note that you are getting a kernel panic: that is *not* because initramfs
fails to mount root. If that were the case you'd get an "early boot
prompt". The problem is that the kernel is unable to load the init program
from the initramfs itself. My guess is that there are several files missing
from the initramfs and so the init program is unable to start. To be
totally sure you can try unpacking your initramfs in a temporary file and
chroot to it.

# mkdir /tmp/foo
# cd /tmp/foo
# zcat /boot/initramfs-linux.img  | cpio -i
# chroot . /bin/sh

And try several commands to see what happens.

HTH
--
Rodrigo