[arch-general] Kernel panic at boot after hard reset: not syncing. No init found.

Paul Hervot p.hervot at gmail.com
Mon May 6 19:58:09 EDT 2013

On Mon, May 06, 2013 at 06:47:33PM +0200, Rodrigo Rivas wrote:
> On Mon, May 6, 2013 at 3:41 PM, Paul Hervot <p.hervot at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Hello, I know some people had this problem before but no solution seems
> > to help me.
> >
> > I was playing Kerbal Space Program, the game filled up my RAM, my
> > computer was no longer responding (it happens to me a few times a month
> > if I forgot to close firefox before playing for example).  I had to hard
> > shutdown, then on the boot I get this kernel panic.
> > (Here is a screenshot: http://dettorer.net/kernel_panic.jpg)
> >
> > The init= parameter given by grub is correct: /usr/lib/systemd/systemd
> > and I double checked the root= parameter, it is by uuid but I also tried
> > by device name (/dev/sda7) and by label.
> > I use three partitions:
> > sda5: /boot
> > (sda6: swap)
> > sda7: /
> > sda8: /home
> > `fdisk -l /dev/sda` http://paste.awesom.eu/ux8
> > `ls -l /dev/disk/by-uuid` http://paste.awesom.eu/85U
> > Using the output of a new `grub-mkconfig` didn't fix it either.
> > Here is my grub.cfg: http://paste.awesom.eu/aDR
> >
> > I tried running `mkinitcpio -v -p linux` (I use the 3.8 kernel from core
> > but also tried the 3.9 from testing, same result)
> > Here is my mkinitcpio.conf: http://paste.awesom.eu/yVH
> > and the output of `mkinitcpio -v -p linux` http://paste.awesom.eu/6f3
> >

> Comparing your output to mine, what most intrigues me is that there are a
> lot of lines that I have and you do not:
>
>     adding symlink: /usr/lib/libc.so.6 -> libc-2.17.so
>     adding file: /usr/lib/libc-2.17.so
>     adding symlink: /lib/ld-linux-x86-64.so.2 -> ld-2.17.so
>     adding file: /usr/lib/ld-2.17.so
>
> Curiously enough, most (or all) of them are from package "glibc", so I'd
> try first to reinstall this package.
>
> Note that you are getting a kernel panic: that is *not* because initramfs
> fails to mount root. If that were the case you'd get an "early boot
> prompt". The problem is that the kernel is unable to load the init program
> from the initramfs itself. My guess is that there are several files missing
> from the initramfs and so the init program is unable to start. To be
> totally sure you can try unpacking your initramfs in a temporary file and
> chroot to it.
>
> # mkdir /tmp/foo
> # cd /tmp/foo
> # zcat /boot/initramfs-linux.img  | cpio -i
> # chroot . /bin/sh
>
> And try several commands to see what happens.

Thank you for your answers.

I first tried cleaning /tmp but it is a tmpfs, so it was already empty.
I reinstalled glibc, linux, mkinitcpio and mkinitcpio-busybox, ran
mkinitcpio and unpacked the initramfs but I can't chroot into it, here
is my try: http://paste.awesom.eu/im9

the file bin/sh exists in the initramfs but chroot seems to be unable to
find it.

Though it seems not to be a problem with grub2, I reinstalled it and
generated a new grub.cfg, it still panic.

--
Paul `Dettorer` Hervot (hervot_p)
EPITA 2016