[arch-general] Problem with libimobiledevice, ifuse, and idevices

Joaquin Villanova joaquin.villanova.romero at alumnos.upm.es
Fri May 17 11:52:08 EDT 2013

Think  something is broken in gvfs-afc, ifuse and friends while working
with idevices.

Nautilus shows me the devices in the right panel (the favorites one),
both documentiation and the device itself and  always show this error
when trying to mont.

<code>Message did not receive a reply (timeout by message bus)</code>

I think I've done my homework on bbs, #archlinux and googling, and found
the only way peopple resolved this problem was with ppas in *buntus so i
want to look deeper... Also i got this from dmesg output when trying to
mount manually with ifuse:
<code>
[ 105.595108] ifuse[500]: segfault at 2dd0 ip 00007ff49b7efc05 sp
00007ff4998e5cd8 error 4 in libimobiledevice.so.4.0.1[7ff49b7e3000+1a000]
</code>

But the interesting part is that <b> Shotwell can import photos from the
device </b>. Surprisingly Rhytmbox cannot play music from it. In an
iPad2 ( i'm going to suggest to Apple to change its name to <b> iCrap
</b>) neither Shotwell or Rhythmbox can get photos/music from the
device. I'm running iOS 6.3 (latest version).

Also for more info here is my uname -a, also i think is important to
mention that i'm using GNOME (latest version from main repos).
<code> Linux arch 3.9.2-1-ARCH #1 SMP PREEMPT Sat May 11 20:31:08 CEST
2013 x86_64 GNU/Linux </code>

I'm happy enough because i can retrieve at least the photos from the
iPhone, but is annoying that this stopped to work.