[arch-general] Arch mailing list for subjective discussions

Ralf Mardorf ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net
Sat May 18 12:27:03 EDT 2013

Hallo,

IMO the moderated Arch general list became a good list for technically
issues and for briefly and succinctly objective discussions. This
shouldn't change. First I didn't like it, but now I can see the
advantages of such a list.

What IMO is missing for Arch Linux is a separated mailing list for
longer, subjective discussions. I'm aware that this is possible using
the forums, but for my taste a mailing list is more comfortable to use.

I wonder if there's an interest for such a mailing list and if somebody
has got the knowledge and is willing to set up such a mailing list.

The international Debian mailing list is free for longer, subjective
discussions, but there anyway is a separated list, for completely off
topic discussions.

There's no need to have a list for absolutely OT discussions for Arch
Linux, as there is for Debian, but perhaps I'm not the only one who does
like to get an Arch Linux mailing list for longer, subjective
discussions.

This comes into my mind, when I read a statement about the policy of
Mint, thread: "Fully wroking GTK3(+GTK2) theme for Gnome 3.8?"

E.g. desktop environments require sometimes discussions that IMO don't
belong to Arch general, but there perhaps is the need to compare notes.

What do you think about an additional mailing list for discussions that
are OT for Arch generell?

Regards,
Ralf