[arch-general] Arch mailing list for subjective discussions

Joan Rieu joan.rieu at gmail.com
Sat May 18 14:34:09 EDT 2013

2013/5/18 Ralf Mardorf <ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net>

> This comes into my mind, when I read a statement about the policy of
> Mint, thread: "Fully wroking GTK3(+GTK2) theme for Gnome 3.8?"
>
> E.g. desktop environments require sometimes discussions that IMO don't
> belong to Arch general, but there perhaps is the need to compare notes.

Hi Ralf,

IMHO, the example you give explains why using the forum would be more
appropriate.

Long technical discussions are of course interesting, provided you care
about the topic, which is not always the case. What this means is that you
might start receiving tens of emails that you really have no interest in.
You might say "you're not forced to join the ML", but I think it's not an
option since some topics will be of interest to me for sure and I would
like to follow those.

On the other side, a forum allows you to focus on the discussions you
really care about, and you can just ignore the irrelevant threads.

Nevertheless, I have to agree that a ML is more convenient for some users,
and giving it a try couldn't hurt...

Regards,
Joan