[arch-general] Arch mailing list for subjective discussions

Ralf Mardorf ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net
Sat May 18 17:32:24 EDT 2013

On Sat, 2013-05-18 at 20:34 +0200, Joan Rieu wrote:
> Long technical discussions are of course interesting, provided you care
> about the topic, which is not always the case.

Hi Joan,

it's nearly impossible to discuss something and to stay objective and
straight to the topic, this only is possible, if everybody has got the
same opinion and when discussions are completely about technical issues.

The way Arch general is moderated at the moment does provide the
advantage, that developers can focus important technical issues. The
developers make the distro and that is ok, I don't want the right to say
for users.

What's IMO missing is a place for users, where we can share opinions and
workarounds to customize our Arch Linux or even ask dumb question.

I neither know, if there is an interest for a user mailing list by many
Arch users, nor how to set up a list, assumed there should be an
interest.

Off-list I didn't get much mails, but until now at least one mail and
the reply is pro an user mailing list.

This thread shouldn't become a discussion on the list, I only want to
know if there are more users interested and if so, I hope somebody has
got the ability to set up a list.

So, to keep the traffic small for the list, I prefer to reply off-list,
assumed more people should reply, however it would be nice, if people
who want a user mailing list are allowed to answer to the list.

Regards,
Ralf