[arch-general] Arch mailing list for subjective discussions

phani listmail at phanisvara.com
Sun May 19 07:55:51 EDT 2013

On Sat, 18 May 2013 21:57:03 +0530, Ralf Mardorf
<ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net> wrote:

> What IMO is missing for Arch Linux is a separated mailing list for
> longer, subjective discussions. I'm aware that this is possible using
> the forums, but for my taste a mailing list is more comfortable to use.

i've thought about this several times, but the thought that's always
stopped me is fragmentation. there's already (at least) two mailing lists,
the forums, and of course the wiki to research if one is looking to solve
a particular problem. adding another mailing list, another archive to
search, wouldn't make things easier.

apart from that, my personal preference would be a _slightly_ more
"chatty" mailing list, as i was used to from openSUSE, per example. the
arch-general list feels more like an extension of the bug tracker, really.
anything except the bare minimum tech. information is frowned upon, and
unless you're part of a small core group of members, even technical
questions that haven't already been answered in the wiki are likely to be
answered with, "...do your own research and don't waste everybody's time."

i also prefer the mailing list or newsgroup format, but for those who do
use a graphical browser at times, there's a G+ group with several
thousands of members, managed quite tightly (but not too tight):

https://plus.google.com/u/0/communities/113935870359973712582

i'm still not convinced that creating another mailing list would be a good
idea overall (fragmentation). but if the general consensus here should be
that it would be a good thing, i have the server space and know how to
manage one.

--
phani.