[arch-general] [arch-dev-public] Dropping bluez4

Stephen E. Baker baker.stephen.e at gmail.com
Wed Nov 13 12:23:16 EST 2013

On 2013-11-06 3:21 PM, Andreas Radke wrote:
> Am Sat, 12 Oct 2013 16:28:56  +0200 schrieb Tom Gundersen
 > <teg at jklm.no>:
 >
 >> Hi guys,
 >>
 >> Once pulseaudio and bluedevil moves out of [testing], the only
 >> official package depending on bluez4 will be blueman.
 >>
 >> As blueman was last released two years ago, and last upstream
 >> activity was more than one year ago and that bluez4 is no longer
 >> developed upstream at all, I suggest dropping both of them from
 >> the repositories.
 >>
 >> Any objections?
 >>
 >> Cheers,
 >>
 >> Tom

[snip]

 > Best would be to get bluez connecting to devices from console or/and
 > to have a desktop independent frontend like this approach:
 >
 > http://mail.xfce.org/pipermail/xfce4-dev/2013-July/030408.html
 >
 > -Andy

By this are you including the problem of bluez 5 not providing a way to
automatically connect to bluetooth input devices without Gnome or KDE.
That was something I ran into on my media center when I tried to
switch.   The keyboard might not be available on boot.

There is a forum post about the issue here, with a couple workarounds
but none of them are ideal for the end user to be doing:

- Stephen E. Baker