[arch-general] [arch-dev-public] Dropping bluez4

Tom Gundersen teg at jklm.no
Sun Nov 10 15:41:26 EST 2013

On Wed, Nov 6, 2013 at 9:21 PM, Andreas Radke <andyrtr at archlinux.org> wrote:
> I've done some work and research on bluez lately. I can confirm my
> adapters to work with bluez 5.10 and gnome-bluetooth (connecting
> to headset + smartphone) that has already moved to extra.
>
> I couldn't make it work with kde+bluedevil that is in testing. Also
> it seems not possible to use plain bluetoothctl to pair (works
> sometimes)/connect(never working here) your device and use plain
> alsa/obex. This is an annoying situation for any other desktop apart
> from Gnome.

Thanks for investigating this, I have not had as much time as I had
hoped to sort out Bluez.

For kde, I guess we'll just hold off on this, and wait for a new git
snapshot/release that works. For the cli stuff, this is something that
we should get fixed. Have you taken this upstream, that's probably the
best approach.

> Blueman is broken and for many users not even starting.

Yeah, that's expected (it requires bluez4 afaik).

> No idea about
> our networkmanager bluetooth support. Fedora 20 has switched over to
> only use bluez v5, OpenSuSE is also using it.
>
> We should search further how to solve kde and plain console situation.
>
> Is Bluez4 still required to use with obexd? If not we can drop it and
> focus on improving bluez5 support.

Bluez5 comes with its own obex server, so the separate
obex-server/obex-client can be dropped.

> Best would be to get bluez connecting to devices from console or/and to
> have a desktop independent frontend like this approach:
>
> http://mail.xfce.org/pipermail/xfce4-dev/2013-July/030408.html

At least the console stuff should be fixed.

Cheers,

Tom