[arch-general] Way too much kworkers

Pedro Emílio Machado de Brito pedroembrito at gmail.com
Tue Oct 1 21:31:45 EDT 2013

2013/10/1 Dimitris Zervas <dzervas at dzervas.gr>:
> Um, I have a very powerful pc, so I get no slow downs. i7-3820 with 16GB of
> ram.
> htop reports no CPU usage, but free -m reports some interesting memory
> consumption.
> free -m
>                     total       used        free     shared    buffers
> cached
> Mem:         16030      15868        161             0        150      13831
> -/+ buffers/cache:       1886      14143
> Swap:            0          0          0
>
> I know that "used" is for caching/etc., but 15GB is a bit too much.
> Downgrading the kernel is not an option because the kernel is patched and
> downgrading would take just too much.
> I know have 234 kworkers, without suspending.
>
> Thank you for your answers

This is perfectly normal, and expected, if you haven't rebooted for a while.

Unused RAM is wasted RAM. You should care about the "-/+
buffers/cache:" figures instead.

--
Pedro Emílio Machado de Brito

Engenharia de Computação 2012 - Unicamp
Coordenador Tecnológico - Centro Acadêmico da Computação (CACo)
(19) 99873-0963 - Facebook/Skype: pedroembrito - Github: pemb
18hxPDGcNDpsYYKJ2aghSh3mm9n3c4C7pf

"Repair what you can — but when you must fail, fail noisily and as
soon as possible." · Eric S. Raymond