[arch-general] Audio distro

Ralf Mardorf ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net
Thu Oct 17 16:56:30 EDT 2013

On Fri, 2013-10-18 at 01:19 +0800, Chris Down wrote:
> "Audio distro" is not very descriptive and doesn't describe your
> intent clearly. Are we talking about audio editing, audio playing, or
> what?

Audio production, as provided by e.g. Ubuntu Studio.

On Thu, 2013-10-17 at 21:05 +0200, Karol Blazewicz wrote:
> You can have a look at brand new Ubuntu Studio - version 13.10 has
> just been released.
> http://ubuntustudio.org/

I know Ubuntu Studio, I'm subscribed to it's developers list, but not an
Ubuntu Studio developer or even member of the team, but AFAIK 13.10 does
use an icon I contributed.

The Linux I use is Arch and seldom Ubuntu. My Arch already is a tuned
audio workstation, I have the skills to do it without reading wikis.

Since Ubuntu for my taste made a big step in the wrong direction, I'm
thinking about an Arch audio distro that can be used by inexperienced
users.

Ubuntu Studio still is is a good distro, but it's Ubuntu and not a clean
audio distro, it's a distro for all kinds of art and does has some
drawbacks. A default comes with a combination of Jack and pulseaudio and
there's no kernel-rt available by official repositories.

I'll still have to take a closer look at http://archaudio.org/ , perhaps
an audio distro based on Arch doesn't make sense. Again, I'm just
thinking, balancing pros and cons. The official and the AUR repositories
already provide most important available audio software. Perhaps 'll add
http://archaudio.org/packages/ to my repositories. IIRC those repose
were not maintained in the past, but I might be mistaken.

Isn't it to hard for inexperienced users, musicians who aren't
interested in computer technology, who only want to use a computer, to
set up Arch Linux?