[arch-general] Audio distro

Jason Harrer jazzyeagle79 at gmail.com
Fri Oct 18 13:35:09 EDT 2013

On Oct 18, 2013, at 12:04 AM, Oon-Ee Ng <ngoonee.talk at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Fri, Oct 18, 2013 at 4:56 AM, Ralf Mardorf
> <ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net> wrote:
>>
>> Since Ubuntu for my taste made a big step in the wrong direction, I'm
>> thinking about an Arch audio distro that can be used by inexperienced
>> users.
> <snip>
>> Isn't it to hard for inexperienced users, musicians who aren't
>> interested in computer technology, who only want to use a computer, to
>> set up Arch Linux?
>
> They should use Ubuntu Studio or something else. 'Easy-setup' Arch
> derivatives do exist, but who will support those users when the
> inevitable problems arise?
>
> If someone isn't interested in computer technology and only wants to
> use a computer, then you do him/her a disservice by providing an
> easy-to-install Arch. Now, if the parties providing such Arch installs
> are also going to be providing support and trouble-shooting services,
> then no issue. Archbang, for example, provides their own support.

Being a musician and recording using Linux audio, I can concur that Arch Ian't the best distro to start with.  It's great to use when you know what you're doing, though.

I don't know if you're familiar with KX Studio, but it may be a better alternative.  It currently is set up through Ubuntu PPAs, but the developer is in the process of transitioning to a Debian repo/PPA (I don't recall what Debian uses) for the same reason you cited.  I recommend giving that one a look.