[arch-general] mplayer2 deprecation

coffeekingms at gmail.com coffeekingms at gmail.com
Thu Oct 31 05:55:21 EDT 2013

On Thu, Oct 31, 2013 at 05:03:53PM +0800, Rashif Ray Rahman wrote:
> On 31 October 2013 06:38, kendell clark <coffeekingms at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Since mplayer2 has been deprecated and moved to the aur, i've been trying to
> > find another console video player that will play videos in full screen.
>
> Fullscreen in console requires a trick, AFAIK. In fact, the 'fs'
> option has no major function; 'zoom' does the work, though I may be
> wrong. Append the following options:
>
> -vo fbdev2 == Standard fbdev may not work.
> -zoom -xy WIDTH == Here WIDTH is your maximum horizontal screen resolution.
> -quiet == To suppress the info bar at bottom while maximized.
> -fs == To suppress background output while maximized.
>
> Here's what I use for my 1366x768 screen:
>
> alias climplayerfs='mplayer -quiet -softvol -fs -zoom -xy 1366 -vo
> fbdev2 -ao alsa -af volnorm'
>

> --
> GPG/PGP ID: C0711BF1

hi
Thanks for the help. That worked better than my attempts did, although now when I start mplayer with the alias I get the following:
[fbdev2] Screensize is smaller than video size (1600x900 < 1600x1200)
FATAL: Cannot initialize video driver.
I used to run into these issues all the time. Am I missing anything, or is it just not possible to watch videos in console with mplayer?
Thanks
Kendell clark