[arch-general] mplayer2 deprecation

coffeekingms at gmail.com coffeekingms at gmail.com
Thu Oct 31 19:13:51 EDT 2013

On Thu, Oct 31, 2013 at 11:32:57PM +0100, Karol Blazewicz wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 31, 2013 at 8:48 PM,  <coffeekingms at gmail.com> wrote:
> >>
> >> Yes, this will happen if the scaling done by mplayer pushes either of
> >> the resolutions to go beyond the real screen estate. In my experience,
> >> this has never happened. As you can read from the manual:
> >>
> >> "value>8
> >>      Set width to value and calculate height to keep correct aspect ratio."
> >>
> >> I get the same errors as you if I issue -xy 1367. For some reason, the
> >> height is scaled beyond your screen area. Try with a lower value, that
> >> will leave just a bit of black around the video. Please also try a Big
> >> Buck Bunny video. [1]
> >>
> >> When all else fails, issue -x and -y separately (which breaks aspect
> >> ratio, stretching where needed).
> >>
> >> [1] http://www.bigbuckbunny.org/index.php/download/
> >>

> >> --
> >> GPG/PGP ID: C0711BF1
> >
> > hi
> > Thanks again for the help. Splitting the -x and -y values worked. The video is just a bit blurry, but I can't see too well, so that could either be my vision or an artifact of the stretching.
> > In any case, it's more than good enough. i can finally watch videos in the console.
> > Thanks
> > Kendell clark
> >

> Can you please tell me
> * why not use mplayer2 as you did before?
> * why not use any player in X?
hi
I have no problem using mplayer2. However, is it still maintained by the mplayer2 devs? if so I can go back, but if not, I want something that's kept up-to-date. As for x, I have no problem
with x,  but I'm blind, so primarily use text mode. I can use x just fine, but console mode is much, much faster, and uses less memory, but I can use vlc to play videos in x.
Thanks
Kendell clark