[arch-general] new arch installation: user login not possible on virtual console

Friedrich Strohmaier damokles4-listen at bits-fritz.de
Tue Sep 10 18:12:55 EDT 2013

Hi Karol, Evgeniy, *,

Am 10.09.2013 19:18 schrieb Karol Blazewicz:
> On Tue, Sep 10, 2013 at 6:40 PM, Evgeniy Alekseev <darkarcanis at mail.ru> wrote:
>> On Tuesday 10 September 2013 13:54:18 Friedrich Strohmaier wrote:

[..]

>>> After setting up a new user I cannot login to it's account on the virtual
>>> console.

[..]

>>> Any known issues or ideas on that?

>> Hi!

>> Do you have zsh as default shell?

no, but this was a good take..

>> If it does, try to change path to the shell
>> from /bin/zsh to /usr/bin/zsh. It may also be necessary for bash as default
>> shell. I observed a similar error after moving binaries from /bin.

for some reason there was /usr/bin/bash as shell entry in /etc/passwd. Changing
this to /bin/bash solved the issue.

[..]

> This has already been fixed: https://bugs.archlinux.org/task/35724

reading this I changed /etc/shells accordingly i.e. added
/usr/bin/bash and /usr/bin/sh to the existing /bin/.. entries which also made the
/usr/bin/bash entry in /etc/passwd working.

will this be updated by update mechanism or only be fixed in new installations?

Thanks a lot for Your help.

Friedrich